Sunday, July 18, 2010

Seeing Life Slip...

Reminiscing over the past has become such a significant part of my life. I can only look back at my life with disappointment that I did not act as well as I wanted to towards my parents, my sister, my family, and the people around me. Being young gives a sense of freedom, provides a person with the feeling that whatever actions they take have no consequence on them and will not hurt what they treasure. Why is this? Every day, I look back at my life.

My mom cleans the house every week. She washes the dishes daily, tidies everything up, makes sure the household runs smoothly. I remember always sitting around on Saturday mornings, just doing whatever I wanted and feeling not feeling obligated to help her because I was the "daughter," and therefore I did not need to do such things. My mother was always there to clean up after me, and I counted on that. Looking back, I feel like such a failure. She was always there for me, and I feel as though I took advantage of her kindness. True, as children grow up to become adults, they take on responsibilities (hopefully) and learn to help others and put others first. I am earnestly seeking after this, glorifying God by being the best daughter I can be and the best person I can be towards other people. Sure, I slip up time to time, but hey, who doesn't? I want to learn everything, soak everything my mom has learned throughout her lifetime and every experience she had. Without her, I would not be so outgoing. I take after her personality, her laugh, and some say her appearance. If I looked like her, I would be the most fortunate girl in the world! She is so beautiful, and her constant laughter brightens her face in the most attractive way. She understands what phases I go through, but knows when to draw the line. I have learned so much from her, and she is simply amazing through and through.

I want to learn who she was that helped me become who I am today.

My dad is the epitome of the best father. He is always supportive. I remember the rare occasion when I would come home with a C on a math test, hanging my head because I knew my mom would be disappointed. But my dad was always there. He always said that it was alright if I did my best. And I did, every single time. When I was younger, he would discipline me, and rightly so, because I was a child back then and needed to learn what was right and wrong. He was stern during those times, staring at me to make sure I understood what I did wrong. I would get punished, and then he would come and hug me, explaining that he did not want me to get punishment, but also that it was more important that I learn what was right so I would behave and walk more in step with God. He is the reason I know for certain that my God exists in this world, and that Jesus has never left my side - even when I stumble and so naively doubt. Teaching me to ride the bike, taking me on hikes and introducing to me my love for nature (Yosemite, primarily), my dad managed to do so much. With so many stories of his past, my dad definitely has a lot to offer. With his experiences, he knows so much. However, the best thing my dad passed onto me was his love for God. I admit, sometimes, I felt resentful that he always wanted me to read the Bible and never let me miss a Sunday service - back in my earlier teens. Now, he has taught me so much, and his random comments always remind me to keep God the focus of my heart. Corny jokes and all, my dad is definitely an amazing father.

My sister is the most extraordinary girl in the world. She is so beautiful, yet she does not acknowledge it, even thinking that sometimes, she would be prettier if she were like someone else. Every person commenting on her beauty, she brushes aside, saying it was out of politeness that they would say something like that. She always cares for others, and is one of the best artists I know (besides my grandpa). Her love of art and fashion has been inspiring, and her eclectic style encouraged me to step outside my comfort zone and embrace something different. My sister is definitely my best friend. I can trust her with anything, and she is always the honest one. She definitely takes after my dad. Such a quirky, lovable girl- and I cannot believe I am so fortunate to have a sister quite like her. It would have been amazing to have a sister half as wonderful as she is; how amazingly blessed am I to have her! Always being there, encouraging me when I thought I could not make it - any person would be lucky to know her. Any guy to marry her would definitely be the luckiest man in the world; he would have to get through me first! Only the best for her.

People imagine that one leaves a legacy if one becomes famous, for they become an insect for the world to inspect through a microscope. If that person blossoms and does some good, they leave a "legacy." I thought that to be quite true for a few years. My parents have shown me that a person does not need to be famous in order to impact the world. My family means the world to me, and I am determined to make a difference in another life; fame or not, I want to help others. True, sometimes I think it would be so much easier to be famous - a person gets free products, does not need to worry for providing for families, and can donate so much more than a "normal" person would. But what does that even mean? Donating more does not mean helping more. It can, certainly, but a person can make just as much or even more of a difference simply by being the best they can be and pursuing God's own heart.

I am blessed to have been raised in the best family, and every day, I wake up with a smile. I may be stressed, have an exam, not feel like working, or feel overly tired; however, my family remains that strong net under me, always supporting me whether I need it or not.

I love you all.

From one reader to another,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment